Tuesday 25 October 2011

English lover's dream day out :)

Last Wednesday we had a very fun Transition Year day out.
We set off on our buses, Fodla buzzing on the mini bus (again!). We broke into our classes, all we had to do was find Sarah Kelly who had disappeared to Eiru and then we set off to our first stop.

In the National Library we saw an exhibition of old Irish artifacts and drawings. It was really enjoyable when Ms.C explained the maps to Sive and I.

Next we went to the National Museum where we saw the bog bodies! It was so surreal. Some of the bodies were still so intact. It was hard to believe that they had been there so long. The bodies really reminded me of a book called 'Bog Child' by Siobhan Dowd which is one to read! In the National Museum we also saw an exhibition called The Faddan More Psalter. It was so interesting! I watched a short video here and decided on the spot I want to be an archaeologist. Well, I change my career path about every month but it's nice to have options. If you want to become an archaeologist too here's the link to The Faddan More Psalter project on the National Museum website. It's a great website, have a look around it. Or better yet, visit the museum. It's great... as museums go ;)

Next we went to the Yeats exhibition. I loved it! It was filled with primary sources from the W.B Yeats and his family. It was so interesting to see his school reports, diaries and family tree along with so many poems and plays. I was really shocked by how many poems he had wrote. There was interactive boards at the exhibition and they showed a timeline of pretty much everything important in the life of Yeats. I really did learn a lot, I'm not trying to impress the teachers.

Then was lunch on Grafton street. Walking around with Shannon and we see a camera man from Rte, being Meg, I asked him could we be on the TV and he said yes please! So airing today (Tuesday) at 4 o'clock on Rte2 you will see Shannon and I play our very small, and not so important part in this TV show. What it's about? You'll have to tune in to see :)

Finally we went to Juno and the Paycock in the Abbey theatre. It was a great performance and the acting was really strong. Mary and Johnny's acting really impressed me, maybe it was because Johnny was so good looking though. Everything from the stage direction to the lighting was excellent in this performance.

Thanks to the English teachers for organising a great day out, it was enjoyed by all! :)

xo-M

No comments:

Post a Comment